Introduction to Safety Management System Development (SMSDEV)
Submitted by admin
on Mon, 02/26/2018 - 12:18
Course Subject: Introduction on Safety Management System (SMS) Development Course Code: SMSDEV Course Aim: This course aims to provide information and basic knowledge to those interested or involved in the development of a Safety Management System with emphasis on an Aviation organisation. This course addresses key SMS requirements and provides basic knowledge for designing and developing compliance mechanisms. Participant Academic Background: Good knowledge of English Language is required (at least at a level of Cambridge First Certificate in English or higher) as well as a general educational background of at least secondary education level although studies at university level are recommended. Participant's ability to analyze information and take decisions on the basis of available data will be very supportive for successful completion of this course. Participant Working Experience: Existing employees shall be better benefited from attendance in this course. Approximate Number of Classroom Instruction Hours: 28 Approximate Number of Self - Study Hours: 40 Progress Monitoring: Through Tests and/or Assignments available at the e-Learning platform in English
Final Examination: Course Completion Examination available at the e-Learning platform in English Course Duration: Approximately 7 days Instruction Language: English Brief Course Syllabus: Topics of instruction & examination under this course include:
- General Introduction
- The Evolution of Safety Thinking
- The EASA View of SMS - Complex and Non Complex Management Systems
- Components of an SMS System
- SMS Commitment
- Developing Organisational roles in support or our Safety Management System, Action Groups, Safety Review Board and the role of Safety Reps.
- The Five Fundamentals of Safety Risk Management
- Understanding the stages of effectively managing and measuring risk, through assessment techniques.
- Developing the Training Program
- Developing SMS Management and Supporting Documentation.
- Understanding the responsibilities of the Safety Manager and the role of Quality Assurance and Safety Assurance in our Organisation
- Effective Marketing and Raising Awareness
- Introduction to Emergency Response Planning
- One or two short case studies for analysis of SMS topics for different personnel categories (i.e. Safety & Quality Managers, Postholders & Accountable Managers,
Maintenance personnel, etc.). The specific structure and content of these case studies depends on the synthesis of participants.
Course participation fee includes:
- Trainer fees
- Training Materials (available at the e-Learning platform in English)
- Progress Tests & Assignments
- Internal Examination (Initial only)
- Issue of Certificate of Course Completion (in case of succesful completion of the course)
Training Location: Greece. In case of a different location additional course organisation fees apply, depending on number of participants and country of course implementation, to cover space and equipment rental, transportation, accommodation and living expenses of the trainer and any taxes as per national regulations.
Additional Information: This course is oriented to individuals wishing to seek employment or already employed in different aviation bodies (such as airlines, flight schools, maintenance organisations, airport authorities, etc.) or other companies and organisations in which safety is a key operational requirement. Successful completion of this course may significantly enhance participant’s employment prospects and/or career advancement as he/she will be able to demonstrate to his/her current or prospective employer familiarization with principles, methodologies and valuable information related to the specific subject.
Successful completion of each Course requires a score of 80% or higher in Course Completion Examination based on multiple choice or open ended questions as well as problem solving of issues raised in the form of short case studies. A maximum number of 3 attempts is allowed (initial and 2 retakes). Subject to successful completion the participant is issued a Letter of Course Completion with reference to instructed and examined topics.